Photos from 2015 by L. Paul Mann
One of Hollywood’s best kept secrets is set to take place on the Sunset Strip, March 10th. The 4th Annual Rock Against MS Benefit Concert and Awards show, has drawn a loyal audience of savvy classic rock enthusiasts from across the globe. Set in the Hollywood Mecca for Rock, the Whiskey A Go Go, the show is the brainchild of publicist Nancy B. Sayle. When Sayle was diagnosed with MS, a small army of her friends in the rock world volunteered for what has now become an annual event to raise money and awareness about the disease. The line up includes some of the best rockers from nearly four decades of the most successful bands in the classic rock genre. Many of the players like, Stephen Perkins and Phil Buckman have played every year, but other hot rockers are added each year, creating an always evolving giant jam session, featuring an array of one off band formations. In keeping with the low ket nature of the event, big name headliners are added to the event at the last minute, not to distract from the nature of the show and the message it is trying to send. In the past, veteran rockers like Slash and The Doors Robbie Kreiger, and most of the original Runaways, have been surprise guests. The numerous bands usually play mostly classic rock covers, stretching over four hours of live music. Perhaps the best part is, since all the musicians are donating their time, tickets are affordable for nearly everyone, starting at only $35.00 for general admission, with no silly ticket fees. Other options include:
- FLOOR – W/ PRE-SHOW MEET & GREET AT 6PM – $100
- BALCONY – VIP MEET & GREET 6PM – $150
- VIP – RESERVED BOOTH FOR 4 PPL W/ MEET & GREET – $500 + $100 IN FOOD/DRINK CREDIT
- VIP – RESERVED BOOTH FOR 8 PPL W/ MEET & GREET – $1,000 + $100 IN FOOD/DRINK CREDIT.
Tickets are now available. www.ticketfly.com/event/778371
Some facts about Multiple Sclerosis include:
- Every hour in the United States, someone is newly diagnosed with MS, an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system.
- MS interrupts the flow of information from the brain to the body and stops people from moving.
- Symptoms range from numbness and tingling to blindness and paralysis. The advancement, severity and specific symptoms of MS in any one person cannot yet be predicted, but advances in research and treatment are moving us closer to a world free of MS.
- Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50, with more than twice as many women as men being diagnosed with the disease.
- MS affects more than 400,000 people in the U.S. and 2.1 million worldwide.
The money raised from the event and auction of rock memorabilia will be used to fund a new foundation. In it’s finishing stages, the ROCK AGAINST MS FOUNDATION will provide services from a three (3) grant resource system, which will provide daily care, quality of life needs and emergency funding, while assisting people with multiple sclerosis (MS) to live independent and full lives. Additionally, a brick and mortar facility we will call THE ROCK HOUSE is in the planning stages, and will provide free of charge, multiple programs and opportunities designed to heal the mind, body and spirit of all those whose lives have been affected by MS.
A list of rockers set to appear includes BILLY SHEEHAN (WINERY DOGS/MR. BIG), STEPHEN PERKINS (JANE’S ADDICTION), PAT TORPEY (MR. BIG), RUDY SARZO (OZZY/WHITESNAKE), PHIL X (BON JOVI/ THE DRILLS), JOEL HOEKSTRA (WHITESNAKE/TSO), DUG PINNICK (KINGS-X), PHIL BUCKMAN (FUEL), TODD MORSE (JULIETTE & THE LICKS/THE OFFSPRING/ H2O), JEFF SCOTT SOTO (TSO), MARTY O’BRIEN (LITA FORD), MATT STARR (ACE FREHLEY/ MR. BIG), JOEY VERA (ARMORED ST./ MOTOR SISTER), JOSHUA RAY (SHANIA TWAIN), DEREK FRANK (SHANIA TWAIN), ELIJAH WOOD (SHANIA TWAIN), GRETCHEN BONADUCE (ANKH), ACE VON JOHNSON (FASTER PUSSYCAT), ANTHONY “TINY” BIUSO (HEDpe/TSOL), SHAWN DUNCAN (BULLETBOYS/ODIN), TANYA O’CALLAGHAN (RONNIE WOODS), NICK BOWCOTT (GRIM REAPER/MARSHALL), HOWIE SIMON (NELSON/ERIC MARTIN), JEFF DUNCAN (ARMORED SAINT), YOLANDA THOMAS, PETTY CASH (Members From THE OFFSPRING/JULIETTE & THE LICKS/ FUEL), THE GUESSING GAME (Featuring JEFF ROUSE/ Duff Mckagan’s LOADED/ Chris Jericho’s FOZZY & GARY WESTLAKE/ Peter Frampton) & MORE! There will be more artists added to the list by showtime and there is a special surprise guest set sure to entice any bonified hard rock fans. Don’t miss out. Tickets are now available. www.ticketfly.com/event/778371